Health Insurance is self-explanatory. It means an insurance you take on your health for health emergencies which could come unexpectedly or cost a lot to handle. It basically is a contract between the insurer and the insured that certain sums will be paid toward footing the medical bills of the said beneficiary for any illnesses or certain illnesses that may arise after the maturity of the insurance plan.
Best 10 Health Insurance Company in Nigeria
Health Insurance is not really a big thing in Nigeria as most people are usually more worried about how to feed than protecting their health. However, a good number of insurers offer health insurance in Nigeria. As a meter of fact, there are well over 40 HMO’s (Health Management Organisations’) in Nigeria. In no particular order, below are the top 10 HMO’s in Nigeria:
1. AIICO Multishield Nigeria Limited: A subsidiary of the AIICO brand in Nigeria, the AIICO Multishield Nigeria Ltd lives up to its name of being a Multishield as it has a variety of possible plans to choose from in consideration of health insurance. Check out their offers on Aiicomultishield.com
Address: 322, Ikorodu Road Anthony Village, Lagos. Contact: 08056744353, 08160000774
2. Mediplan Healthcare Limited: Mediplan Healthcare limited is another HMO with a big name and lives up to it. Boasting several possible health insurance plans as well which gives customers a wide range of options. Their options can be seen on Mediplanhealthcare.com
Address: Plot 32b, Admiralty Way, Lekki, Phase 1. Contact: 08159394380, 08159394375
3. Hygeia HMO Limited: Hygeia has three major plans which are Personal & Family Plans, SME plans and Corporate Plans which have children under them that gives you options as to choose. Check them out on Hygeiahmo.com
Address: Head office, 6th-7th Floor Elephant House, 214 Broad Street, Lagos Island, Lagos. Contact: 0700- 494342- 466
4. Songhai Health Trust: Incorporated in 2001, Songhai has grown to be a leading HMO in Nigeria and currently has four primary health insurance plans Individual, Family and Corporate. These covers a broad range of possibilities with regards to health emergencies, depending on the category you choose. Check them out on Songhaihealthtrust.com
Address: Suite B12, Tsukunda House, Plot 1446, Constitution Avenue, Beside Church Gate, Central Business District, FCT-Abuja. Contact: +(234)803-351-1011
5. International Health Management Services Limited: IHMS as a fully licensed HMO in Nigeria that seems focused more on affordable corporate health coverage (based on their plans). They have 3 plans which are Corporate Managed Healthcare, SME’s managed healthcare plans & Easyflex plans. These plans cover a broad range of emergencies and can be seen on Ihmsnigeria.com
Address: 2, Joseph Street, Off Broad Street, Lagos Contact: +234 8121010100
6. Wellness Health Management Services Limited: Wellness Health Management Services is not just out to carry on health insurance but have decided to be unique by seeking to fulfill the SDG 3 by 'Ensuring Healthy Lives and Promoting Wellbeing for All At All Ages’. They have two basic plans (Corporate & Individual) but make provision for a customizable third via their mobile app. Check them out on Wellnesshealthcare.com
Office Address: 9, Jogunomi Street, Gbagada Phase 2, Gbagada, Lagos. Contact: 070093556377
7. Oceanic Health Management Limited: You’ll probably think they stem from the defunct Oceanic bank, and you would be right because they are a subsidiary of the defunct Oceanic Bank Group & even use the same trademarked logo as the bank. Oceanic Health Management Ltd was incorporated in February 2007 & currently has 5 major health insurance areas with a broad coverage. You can see more on Oceanichealth.com
Address: 266, Muritala Mohammed Way, Ebute-Metta, Lagos. Contact: 08031230100, 08085897999
8. Avon HMO: With less than 10 years in the industry (Established 2013), Avon is out to make its mark irrespective. They currently have 5 health plans which cover broad areas and even boast massive customer brands such as MTNN, UBA, Fidelity Bank, Honeywell Group etc. You can see their services on Avonhealthcare.com
Office Address: 2nd Floor, Afriland Towers, 97/101 Broad Street, Lagos, Nigeria. Contact: 07002779800
9. Greenbay Healthcare Services Limited: A new generation HMO, Greenbay brings to the table a unique set of plans in 2 conventional & unconventional plans respectively that seek to cover the scope of the individual and workplace simultaneously. You can see more about them on Greenbayhmo.com
Office Address: Greenbay Healthcare Services Limited, 9, Odunuga Street, Opebi Ikeja, Lagos State. Contact: 070047336229, +234 8188888725 (WhatsApp)
10. Regenix Healthcare Services Limited: Principally in risk and insurance management in the healthcare sector, Regenix has 5 health insurance plans that go far in coverage. Regenix runs on the vision to be the preferred health insurer in Nigeria’s sector. More about their services can visit their office Address: Regenix Plaza, Km 13 Melford Okilo Road, Akenfa-Epie, Yenagoa, P.M.B. 160, Bayelsa State, Nigeria. Contact: +234 (0) 810 4493 471, +234 (0) 814 8220 185
NOTE: The extant National Health Insurance Act has made us mandatory that all Nigerians' have health Insurance. It would be wise to visit the NHIS website for the possibility of this www.nhis.gov.ng
Benefit Of Health Insurance
The benefit of health insurance can be gleaned from the introductory paragraph. It gives you peace of mind that your health costs are covered whenever they may arise after the maturity of the policy taken.
Who is eligible for health Insurance?
Everyone is eligible for health insurance in the sense that anyone can be the stated beneficiary so long as such person is alive, however the policy can only be taken by an adult of legal standing as contracts can only validly be entered by adults.
How to apply for health insurance
Applying for health insurance doesn’t have any specific rules as each Insurer has its own demands to be met. Generally, one should have their basic data such as:
- Birth certificate (Or a sworn affidavit)
- Income record
- Tax records
Note: Not all of these may be demanded for
- Visit the website or a branch of the insurer you choose
- Select the plan that best suits your needs or pockets
- Fill their registration form correctly and wait for a finalization of all there needs to be put in place.
Terms and conditions of health insurance scheme.
Terms and conditions vary across insurers, but two general terms & conditions are:
- Pay your premium as and when due
- Do not attempt to defraud the insurer by faking or exaggerating a health claim or anything of sort
Conclusion: Health Insurance is very important. As it is popularly said, “Health is Wealth” and one must make necessary plans to protect one’s health to an extent. Hence, it is advisable to have a health Insurance for yourself and your dependents (If you have any) so that you won’t be at a crossroads if any emergencies pop up. Remember, health is fragile so protect it the best you can.