Internet banking as the name reflects, is a banking system that relies on the internet. It is the process of carrying out your banking activities via the internet (serving as a middle man). Virtually all banks in Nigeria have made available internet banking for their customers and we will take a look at some of them but first below are a few benefits of internet banking, viz:
- 24/7 access to your account
- Easy payment of bills
- Swift banking activities
- It saves you the stress of having to visit a bank branch physically
- It gives you access some of your vital bank records
- It is cost effective as it usually only requires data which you buy anyway or a little transaction token running into a few Tens of naira at most.
ZENITH BANK INTERNET BANKING
How to set up:
- Download and print the Application form – PDF Document.
- Complete the form with your details.
- Submit the form to any of their branches nearest to you.
- After submission, and within 24 hours (at most 48 hours), a sealed pack containing your logon details (Customer Account Number and Password) will be sent to you through your relationship officer.
- Visit the Zenith Bank website - www.zenithbank.com and click on internet banking
- Log in with the details you received
NB: Upon logging in the first time, do well to change the password to something known by only yourself by clicking on the settings button (the three horizontal lines) and also set up your PIN
How to use Zenith Banks Internet Banking:
To make use of internet banking with Zenith Bank, all you need to do is:
- Go to their website
- Click on the internet banking option and log in with your details
- Once you are logged in, you can carry out the operation you choose and always remember to log out when you are done with your activities.
UBA INTERNET BANKING
How to set up:
- Visit a bank branch and they will give you take you through the process or
- Visit the UBA internet banking website https://ibank.ubagroup.com/
- Click on Instant Self Registration
- Fill in the form with the right details and your account will be available upon completion
How to use UBA’s internet banking:
- Visit website (link provided above)
- Click on Log in
- Carry your banking activities and log out
GT BANK INTERNET BANKING
How to set up:
- Visit the GT Bank website on https://www.gtbank.com/
- On the top right corner, you will see a small box that reads “Online Banking”, click on the register button below it
- Fill the form on the website, you will receive your internet banking log in via email
- Log in and change the password to something unique to yourself (This must be done within 2 hours)
How to use GT Bank internet banking:
- Visit the GT Bank website provided above
- Click on the log in button on the online banking box
- Provide your log in details (User ID and password – password is all digits, no letters)
- Carry out your banking activities and log out.
ACCESS BANK INTERNET BANKING
How to set up:
- Visit the Access bank website on https://www.accessbankplc.com/
- Click the options button (three horizontal lines in the top left corner)
- Click on the ways to bank option from the drop list
- Select Internet Banking (Private)
- Supply the details requested such as Account Number, Username, Password etc.
How to use Access Bank’s Internet Banking:
- Follow the first 4 prompts above
- Provide your log in details (username & password) used when setting up
- Carry out your activities and log out
FIRST BANK INTERNET BANKING
How to set up:
- Visit the First Bank Website https://www.firstbanknigeria.com/
- Click the options button (3 Horizontal Lines in the top left corner)
- Select the “Ways to bank option” from the drop list
- Select online banking
- Click on Login (Top right corner)
- Select Personal or Business (Depending on what the account is for)
- Click on Self Registration below the log in button
- Fill the form and complete your registration
How to use First Bank Internet Banking:
- Follow the first 6 prompts above
- Fill in the log in details and log in
- Carry out your banking activities and log out
20 FAQ’s ABOUT INTERNET BANKING
- WHO CAN USE INTERNET BANKING?
Basically anyone with access to a smart device and Internet connection can make use of internet banking
- CAN I USE A BANK’S INTERNET BANKING WITHOUT AN ACCOUNT IN THAT BANK?
Unfortunately, not, if you don’t have an account with them, how can they verify who you are? Which account would you be using to carry out your activities?
- HOW SAFE IS INTERNET BANKING?
Considering the fact that all financial institutions owe a duty of care by law to protect the financial details of their customers, I would say it is really safe. Although that would depend slightly on how much each financial institution is will to go to protect their customer information.
- WHAT TIME OF DAY CAN I USE INTERNET BANKING?
Anytime of day my friend, anytime of day.
- CAN I USE INTERNET BANKING WITHOUT AN ATM CARD?
No you can’t! Certain details of your card would most usually be requested for by the bank while you are trying to set up your internet banking profile such as your PIN.
- HOW CAN I PROTECT MY INTERNET BANKING PROFILE?
Well, there are a few ways such as
- Do not under any circumstance disclose your details such as log in, password, PIN etc. to anyone except a bank staff within the banking hall who requests it while carrying out a service to you
- Do not store passwords and PIN’s on your phone or in open places that just anyone has access to
- Do not give your ATM cards to anyone except where necessary and make sure to watch their activities while they hold your card
- Be careful about links and emails from accounts or numbers claiming to be from your bank
- ARE THERE TRANSACTION LIMITS (TRANSFERS) IN INTERNET BANKING?
Yes, there are but the specific amounts would be dependent on each bank.
- HOW FAST IS INTERNET BANKING?
It’s as fast as your internet connection can carry
- WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN INTERNET BANKING AND ONLINE BANKING?
There’s no difference, it’s just the name that’s different but they both basically refer to the same thing.
- HOW OFTEN CAN I TRANSFER WITH INTERNET BANKING?
This is highly dependent on each bank but more often than not, you can transfer as many times as you wish until you get to the daily transfer limit set by the bank.
- IS INTERNET BANKING BETTER THAN USING USSD?
That would depend on your personal preference. They both come with their pros and cons, so it would rely mostly on your personal preference or inclination.
- CAN I USE INTERNET BANKING WITHOUT THE INTERNET?
Hahaha … That’s like asking if you can use a car without battery. The answer is NO!
- DOES INTERNET BANKING ATTRACT CHARGES?
Sometimes yes and sometimes no, it depends on the kind of transaction
- WHICH BANK HAS THE BEST INTERNET BANKING?
This is quite subjective and many different users would call their own bank but from my own point of view, I would say Zenith Bank based on the structure of their website and my little tete-a-tete’s
- HOW FAST CAN I SET UP AN INTERNET BANKING PROFILE?
This would usually take from instantly to 24 hours. Sometimes, it may take up to 48 hours of more but that is in very rare circumstances.
- CAN I SET UP MY INTERNET BANKING BY MYSELF?
As a tech savvy person, you sure can. If not, please go to the bank for them to get it done for you.
- WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN INTERNET BANKING AND NORMAL BANKING?
While normal banking requires you to go to a bank branch to carry out your activities, internet banking allows you do them via the internet. Although, there are some few things that can’t be done with internet banking.
- WHAT DETAILS DO I NEED TO SET UP MY INTERNET BANKING?
Usually, you would need one or more of these:
- Bank Account Number
- ATM Card
- Username to be created
- Password to be created
- CAN I MAKE A COMPLAINT VIA THE INTERNET BANKING PLATFORM?
Yes you can! All banks make available their channels for complaints such as Social media, emails and call numbers.
- HOW FAST CAN I HAVE A COMPLAINT RESOLVED VIA INTERNET BANKING?
That would totally depend on your problem and how fast the bank’s complain resolution/customer service arm is.